CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Serger/ new sewing machine

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gardenofyesterday

gardenofyesterday

Serger/ new sewing machine Empty
PostSubject: Serger/ new sewing machine   Serger/ new sewing machine EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 am

I am looking for a new serger and a sewing machine (however, if i have a serger, do i still need a sewing machine?)- mind you i am a broke college student. what model is the best for the price?
Back to top Go down
http://gardenofyesterday.tumblr.com/
JavaJawa

JavaJawa

PostSubject: Re: Serger/ new sewing machine   Serger/ new sewing machine EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 pm

A serger is really nice when you want that clean professional edge to your seams
You could in theory work with only a serger and be perfectly fine.

A problem you might run into though is the fact that it's very compact. Unlike a sewing machine that has that extra 4-6 inches of space between the foot and the body, the serger doesn't have that gap.
So if you were to try and do a straight stitch for an applique you wouldn't be able to use a serger for that.
Or if you were to try to do some type of quilted pattern on fabric for a bag or other item, the lack of gap would prevent you from doing that.
Maybe you just wanna to make a creative texture like this with a contrast thread. (Not my image, found it with google.)
Serger/ new sewing machine 2728842489_a1cd0a314d

Without a serger you can always use a zigzag stitch to over lock the edge of the fabric and still get a nice seam.

I would personally invest more money in a nice sewing machine with multiple stitches that you can use for all your projects and leave a serger as a later purchase for when you really get into the nitty gritty of presentation.
Back to top Go down
http://ayanaaira.tumblr.com
gardenofyesterday

gardenofyesterday

PostSubject: Re: Serger/ new sewing machine   Serger/ new sewing machine EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks!
That helped a lot!
Back to top Go down
http://gardenofyesterday.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serger/ new sewing machine   Serger/ new sewing machine Empty

Back to top Go down

Serger/ new sewing machine
Page 1 of 1