CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Everybody vegetarian or vegan?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Escargot

Escargot

Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  Empty
PostSubject: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Hello!

So, I had a look at the recipes over here and it makes me wonder: is everybody vegetarian or vegan here?
Don't get me wrong, there is a good reason why I'm asking.

Cooking is my life's passion, I am obsessed with food, I love cooking it, eating it and writing about it. Therefore I would love to share some recipes here with you.

However, I would not want to offend anybody by posting recipes that contain meat or dairy products. No

Which is why I'm asking! Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 4:09 am

flower

Last edited by PinUpRetro on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 5:02 am

haha Very Happy i was thinking about asking the same question!

I am a meat lover Smile i can't get enough of medium rare steaks... Smile i would love some good recipes!
Back to top Go down
Escargot

Escargot

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 7:24 am

Ah! I'm reassured to see I'm not the only one! (I almost felt guilty haha)

In fact, I'm moving to England in a month to live with my boyfriend who's a vegetarian so... I'm gonna have to get used to not eating meat! But it's alright I can take that : I'll get my meat and fish when we eat out and many dishes can be adapted to vegetarian diet (using beans or lentils instead of meat, etc)

But I have to admit that I could not give up on eggs and dairy products. I'm an avid baker and I don't see how I could bake my cakes without using eggs, butter, cream, etc.

While I'm here, it's something I always wondered about. What do vegans eat for breakfast??? I mean, if you take away the milk, cheese, butter, yoghurt... what's left? No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:03 am

flower

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:03 am

flower

Last edited by PinUpRetro on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Escargot

Escargot

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:14 am

Thank you! He lives in the North West, a small town not far from Chester. Where do you live?

I suppose I don't know a lot about the UK -I do have an obsession with English literature and language though.
I've been spending most of my holidays in England over the last three years, but I didn't visit the country that much (not as much as I would have liked to that is)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 3:26 am

flower

Back to top Go down
Escargot

Escargot

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 7:47 am

I love beer and I can't drink it anymore since my stomach surgery Sad
Chester is a very cute town, the roman walls is a must do. I haven't seen much of Manchester and never been in Liverpool but will definitely visit them Smile

What are your favourite British beers?
Back to top Go down
Leana

Leana

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 11:25 am

Ow how I wish I could visit the UK this summer. But probably not gonna happen...again..
But on topic:
If you'd like to have some nice vegetarian recipes/ideas, I could send you some. I'm not a veggie but I do eat vegetarian food 3 to 4 days a week, just because I like it.

At the moment for example, my bf is making some delicious wok dish with tofu rendang. It's exactly the same as a normal chicken rendang, but with tofu instead of chicken Smile On of those recipes where you won't miss the meat that much Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Escargot

Escargot

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 am

You want to visit England... and I'd love to visit Holland Smile

Thank you for offering to share your recipes, I'd love to see them as I'm going to have to eat veggie every day from now (well I will eat meat and seafood when we eat out but at home it will be mostly veggie I think).

Never tried rendang before but it sounds tasty Smile

Also I think it's a good idea that you're eating vegetarian some days in the week. It's probably healthier that way too.
Back to top Go down
Leana

Leana

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 am

It is healthier indeed Smile Holland is a nice country to visit one day, bit rainy though the last few days... Wink
But good weather for typing down some recipes and baking pie. So, when my pie's in the oven this afternoon I'll type down some recipes for you! Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 3:35 am

flower

Back to top Go down
Escargot

Escargot

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 5:31 am

I can't have beer or any fizzy drinks because of a surgery I had in my stomach. I can't even have effervescent tablets...

Thanks for sharing your favourite beers with me. I love honey beer so I will definitely try Waggledance (well just a little bit to not kill my stomach)

In general I love Belgian beers... (and I'm not talking about "stella" but things like Chimay, Duvel, Orval, Barbar, Leffe... )

Leana wrote:
It is healthier indeed Smile Holland is a nice country to visit one day, bit rainy though the last few days... Wink
But good weather for typing down some recipes and baking pie. So, when my pie's in the oven this afternoon I'll type down some recipes for you! Smile

Can't wait to read them

Wink

Last edited by Escargot on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Leana

Leana

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 9:44 am

Here is the first recipe, and one of my fav's. It's lovely for sunny days, when I prefer a salad over some hot dish.
The recipe comes from a friend, who's a very fine cook and veggie Smile
Hope you like it!
And do you like red beets? (if they have 'm in England) I have another vegetarian salad recipe with beets and potatoes Smile

Fennel-carrot salat with quinoa, tofu and chickpeas
Serves 4

The original list of ingredients:
125 gr quinoa
150 gr tofu
2 tp (teaspoons) soy sauce
1 tp agave syrup (I mostly use ginger syrup)
2 tp pine nuts
1 fennel
6 carrots
10 olives (if you like ‘m Wink)
1 orange
1 can chickpeas
1 lemon (you’ll use the juice, so you could also use pre-made lemon juice)
1 tp olive oil
some chopped parsley

Things I’d like to add or replace:
A hand full of raisins
Bulgur (a type of wheat) instead of quinoa

1. Cook the quinoa as shown on the package and add some broth/bouillon.Let the quinoa cool down.
2. Cut the tofu into parts and bake it in olive oil untill the parts are gold/brown. At the end; add the soy sauce and the agave/ginger syrup. Let the tofu cool down as well.
3. While the tofu and quinoa are cooling down you can toast the pine nuts and cut the fennel into (very) small pieces.
Grate your carrot and slice your olives. Peel the orange and cut it into small parts.
Rinse the chickpeas and put it in a big bowl. Put all the other stuff with it and stirr it.
To top it all off: add the lemon juice, some olive oil, pepper and parsley.

Lovely with some bread (like a good ciabatta).

PS: I don’t like fennel that much so I tend to leave it out. You won’t miss it Wink
Back to top Go down
Leana

Leana

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 9:45 am

Ow and Escargot, I love the way you think when it comes to Belgian Beers Wink
Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:38 am

when a discussion about beer is going on, I have to join Smile

I like german beers the best, probably because that's what we mostly drink here Smile I'm a big fan of very bitter and strong 'Pils' beers like 'Tannenzäpfle', 'Becks', or 'Schwarzbier' (Blackbeer).

And of course: The Oktoberfest beer (Yes it's a clichee and I'm living it: I'm German and go to the OKtoberfest every year, and yes, I'm wearing a Dirndl Smile )

I have tried some British' beer when I was in London this Febuary and it was good, but it tasted kind of 'weak', maybe that's because I like my beer more bitter.
Back to top Go down
Leana

Leana

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 am

Yep, German Beer is the best, especially Schwarzbier... I'm just so bored you can't get it anywhere in Holland..
Back to top Go down
Escargot

Escargot

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 1:11 am

This recipe sounds delish, Leana! I am definietely going to try it. I like fennel so I won't leave it out. However, I may leave out the orange. Because of my annoying stomach that can't stand too much acidity; I'm just afraid that an orange, on top of lemon juice, might be a bit too much. Otherwise it sounds like a recipe that could become a favourite, with the boyfriend as well : we love all the ingredients you use there Very Happy

Also, I can see that my thread about vegetarians and vegans is turning into a booze topic Razz

It seems to me that different countries/cultures definitely have a different approach to drinking beer. For some, it's about enjoying a tasty quality drink, for others it's all about getting drunk.
Back to top Go down
Leana

Leana

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 1:53 am

Hey Escargot,

Leaving out the orange might be a good idea indeed. If you don't trust it, it's also possible to leave out teh lemonjuice :-)
Especially when you're doing this, adding the raisins might be a good idea Smile

And about the booze, totally agree with you! Wink
Back to top Go down
Escargot

Escargot

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 2:49 am

Lemon juice is very important for seasoning. Given the choice between orange and lemon juice, I prefer to keep the lemon juice Smile
Raisins is one of the very few things I don't like (along with mayonnaise, I hate this stuff, I never liked it even the smell of it makes me sick haha)

About the booze... I think getting "older" and having had some health problems due to a life of excess definitely changed me to a wiser and more moderate person. But I also have to say that I definitely appreciate a good drink a lot better since I am limited and can't have as much now as I used to have.
Can't give up the food though Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:59 am

flower

Last edited by PinUpRetro on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 7:03 am

flower

Last edited by PinUpRetro on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 am

@ PinUpRetro:
That sounds like a nice little trip you have planned there Smile And München (that's how you write Munich in German) is def. worth a visit! It's one of my most favourite citys and I plan on living there one day!
I didn't know about the Hitler bench Smile I think it's always funny how everybody else (and especially Americans) are so fascinated by the whole Hitler and Nazi thing... Here most of the Germans would probably not even care about such a bench. Not because they ignore their history (in fact I've never experienced a nation more aware of their history and more tolerant than the Germans), but because they think a thing like that would not be worthy of any attention....

Do you already know when you are going to be in München? I hope you have a lot of fun during your trip! And tell us about all the beer you drank Smile
Back to top Go down
leather & lace

leather & lace

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:33 pm

I was kind of wondering, myself... Normally in places like these everything has meat and a person practically has to beg for vegetarian recipes. I'm a meat-eater myself, I tried being vegetarian once and it made me crabby:D.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everybody vegetarian or vegan?    Everybody vegetarian or vegan?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Everybody vegetarian or vegan?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next