CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
toodaloos93

toodaloos93

Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: Empty
PostSubject: Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

So, first of all let me say how glad I am that Corrine started Craftovision, I was really beginning to miss a DIY fix once a week. Yay! Thanks Corrine Smile

On to my question:
My cousin Einav's wedding is in a few months, and my other cousin gave me this beautiful dress that I really love. it's really fitted in the boob area, with pleats on the stomach that make me look super skinny.
HOWEVER, then we get to the skirt. affraid
The skirt part does that weird thing where they sew the lining to the bottom, but the outer fabric is longer so they pleat it, creating poof? (If I explained it unclearly, let me know, I'll post a picture).
I want to undo that seam, and sew a few layers of black tulle in between to make the skirt be poofy incarnate.

1. If I were to do so, how would I go about doing it?
2. Is it worth the trouble, or should I just deal with the dress I have?
3. Am I better off just making a new dress?

O.K, so I lied a bit. It's three questions.

Love you, Internet crafters!

cat Toodaloos93 cat
Back to top Go down
eiyela

eiyela

PostSubject: Re: Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 am

So.... It's a balloon skirt, like this?

Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: AAAAAqC7oRMAAAAAATUtMw

And you want to turn it into something more like this?

Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: Posh-tots-girls-skirts-skorts-chocolate-and-light-pink-poofy-princess-tutu

I'm a bit confused, but am I somewhere in the ballpark? alien
Back to top Go down
http://www.hardcorecooking.eu
toodaloos93

toodaloos93

PostSubject: Yup!   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:21 am

That's it! I don't know all the technical terms, I taught myself to sew Smile alien
Back to top Go down
tamara

tamara

PostSubject: Re: Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 am

are you still wanting the original skirt (un-poofed) over the top of the fluffy tulle? or gone completely...
Back to top Go down
toodaloos93

toodaloos93

PostSubject: Yeah   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 am

I want to keep the original skirt and the lining, but I want to have a few layers of Tulle in between. I don't want to close up the hem of it and turn it back into a balloon skirt- I want it to be a poofy skirt.

what should I do?
Back to top Go down
eiyela

eiyela

PostSubject: Re: Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:04 am

I would go for a petticoat myself, since I'm a wimp. Embarassed

It's hard to tell without seeing how the dress is constructed, but if the seam attaching the skirt to the top looks fairly easy to replace, you could simply remove the skirt from the dress, remove the bottom seam attaching the skirt to the lining, add a bit of foof in between, sew the whole thing up and then sew the skirt back on again. Oh yes, and hem the outer skirt too. Doh.

If removing the skirt from the top isn't an option, you could take out the bottom seam attaching the skirt to the lining and sew the foofy stuff directly onto the lining. I'm not sure how that would work out, though, I've never seen it as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hardcorecooking.eu
tamara

tamara

PostSubject: Re: Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 pm

i think it depends... if it's like... the lining and the outside are 2 seperate pieces joined at the bottom... i'd just undo that one seam, hem the top part, and stick a petticoat, or like, a tutu in between the layers...

all you'd really have to do it be careful wit hthe seam ripper and be able to do a hem...

and: if you search youtube, there's like a million tutu tutorials...
Back to top Go down
toodaloos93

toodaloos93

PostSubject: decision time!   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

okay, so here's what I'm gonna do. I talked to my sister as well (she sews too) and she said that I should cut the skirt part of the dress to wherever I want it to sit and then just make a separate skirt to put under it (kind of like a slip, but made of tulle) and that way it will look awesome but not a pain in the *** to make.

Heh. that works out really well.
I'll post pictures soon.

Thanks guys sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:   Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect: Empty

Back to top Go down

Ermmm... A little advice please? :suspect:
Page 1 of 1