CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings Empty
PostSubject: Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings   Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:25 am

Hey Lovelies,

I've been looking about for some more stuff to share with you and realised something was looking me right in the face from atop my computer.

I've made a skull head with a badass top hat and a little monster head - both can be used as brooches or as keyring thingymabobs...in fact I'm sure there are some other things these can be used for but my brian takes a little time to warm up in the mornings.

Firstly Mr Top Hat

[img]Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings 5706613320_49bae32ccd Untitled by Claire-Michelle Pearson, on Flickr[/img]
Mr Top Hat

[img]Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings 5706043585_5b65ce1bd8 Untitled by Claire-Michelle Pearson, on Flickr[/img]
Mr Top Hat Side View

[img]Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings 5706031749_ddcfc88170 Untitled by Claire-Michelle Pearson, on Flickr[/img]
Monster Head Front

[img]Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings 5706647244_4d69347587 photo 2 by Claire-Michelle Pearson, on Flickr[/img]
Monster Head Rear View

For Mr Top Hat you will need:
-Scissors
-Needle
-Thread
-Material (I used a cotton, as it works best with my pyrography tool...but if you don't plan on burning in his face, you can sew on felt or draw it on with craft pens).
-Stuffing material
-Felt for the top hat (I used black)
-ribbon/brooch/keyring chain and twisty circle thingy

I drew out rough design on the material (it did take a few goes - for ease you can feel free to use this:)

[img]Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings 5706082149_73c51e6621 skull pattern by Claire-Michelle Pearson, on Flickr[/img]
Template

-Cut out two. Now is a good time to decide what you want it for. A brooch back can be sewn on before or after sewing the two halves of the head...a keychain thingy is probably best placed before.

-Put the right sides together and sew around the edge. You could use a machine if you want to do it quickly. Don't sew all the way around (for example - leave the bottom free) and turn it the right way out (so you can now see the 'nice' side of your fabric and the stitches are pretty hidden.
When stitching, be sure to leave a slight allowance, in case the material frays. I left a seam allowance of about 3mm.

-Stuff with stuffing stuff (I used batting which i ripped into little bits. Use the end of a pen/crochet hook/knitting needle to pack it in there (especially if you sewed the bottom first.

-Sew up the hole (add any more stuff you may need, just before finishing up.

-Man-handle a bit to distribute the stuffing evenly.

-I then use my pyrography tool to scorch the material for the eyes, nose and mouth. I like the way it recesses the fabric slightly. Not everyone like burning stuff/has a pyrography tool to do this though...so you could whip stitch on some felt (or another material) in the shape of the eyes etc, or you could use fabric pens (fine ones work best on the mouth). If you are using felt etc you might like to consider doing this to one piece before sewing them together.

-Top hat...decide how tall you want the hat to be (mine is about the same length as the circle part of the face). Also decide on how wide you want it to be - mine is about 2cm. Cut out the felt.

-Sew into a tube with matching thread, then turn inside out. I'm rubbish at maths and can't be bothered to work out pi (I'd rather eat pie...might explain the big hips!), so I put the tube over another bit of felt, drew around it with tailors chalk and cut out two.

-Whip stitch one of the circles to the end. Repeat with the other end. Attach the hat to the head using whip stitch again. I managed to bend the rim a little (you can see this in the front on picture).

And you're done.

The tut is basically the same for the monster, but it's on a smaller scale, all made of felt (which doesn't burn well at all) and the stitches are visible. I used red and green felt (affixed prior to sewing the two halves together). If you stitch the eyes on in one place they are movable.

Last edited by PinUpRetro on Tue May 10, 2011 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings   Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:26 am

Just to prove my point I typed my brian...rather than brain - doh! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pinkweeds

Pinkweeds

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings   Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:42 am

those are cute! I really like the one with the top hat!
Back to top Go down
http://la-bouilloire-noire.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings   Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings Empty

Back to top Go down

Tutorial: Little Monster and Day of the Dead Skull brooches/keyrings
Page 1 of 1