CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help! Attempting to learn about corsets

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
leather & lace

leather & lace

Help! Attempting to learn about corsets Empty
PostSubject: Help! Attempting to learn about corsets   Help! Attempting to learn about corsets EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 2:54 pm

So I'm really interested in making myself a corset. The nagging problem, however, is that I don't know jack about corsets, let alone making one. I'll list the basic things I want to know.

1. I want a corset that I can wear as a shirt, not one that goes underneath something. Something like this, maybe

Help! Attempting to learn about corsets Gold-n11

or the one on this link

http://forum.threadbanger.com/showthread.php?t=20511&highlight=corset

2. What is boning exactly, what type would I need, or would I even need it? I'm pretty skinny as it is, so do I need to have it or not?

3. I'm seeing a lot of terms thrown around like interfacing, casings, liners, etc. Can some one explain these to me, or is there a website or (better yet) a pattern to make a corset like I showed up top? And can I use any type of fabric, or are some better than others?

Any insight would be helpful, especially since I'm a beginner and may or may not know what I'm doing. (My grandma tells me I have a good instinct for sewing, but who am I to know if she's just trying to be nice?)0.o

Thanks for putting up with me, Craftovision
Back to top Go down
tamara

tamara

PostSubject: Re: Help! Attempting to learn about corsets   Help! Attempting to learn about corsets EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 3:10 pm

boning is the stuff that gives the corset some extra structure. you don't really haaavvve to have it.... especially if you don't need any help with uuuummm... lift....
if you decide to use it, i've seen it done with like, empty laundry detergent containers...

interfacing is a type of.... fabric, i guess you'd call it... you can get it pretty much anywhere fabric is sold... most of it has an iron-on backing.... it helps give the fabric form, stiffness, etc.

a casing is just like.... a tube you can string something through.... so like.... think of a pair of pajama pants with a drawstring.... the part around the drawstring is a casing...

liner is just exactly what it sounds like... goes on the inside to make it more polished and less see-through....

ummm.... a lot of this stuff is optional.... depending on the pattern and fabric you use... you can find corset patterns all over the internet.... people make them with t-shirts, woven cotton, whatever...

i wouldn't suggest denim or anything too heavy for your first go...

check threadbanger forums and cut out and keep....
Back to top Go down
Earendil

Earendil

PostSubject: Re: Help! Attempting to learn about corsets   Help! Attempting to learn about corsets EmptySun May 08, 2011 11:39 am

Quote :
2. What is boning exactly, what type would I need, or would I even need it? I'm pretty skinny as it is, so do I need to have it or not?

Boning and casings go together in corsets. In your picture above you see the ridges that run up and down on the outside. That is the casing. You side your boning in through them. Boning comes in all different type. You don't have to use it but it helps give the corset structure. If you don't want or need a heavy boning you can use featherlight plastic boning that can be found in almost every fabric store.

Quote :
3. I'm seeing a lot of terms thrown around like interfacing, casings, liners, etc. Can some one explain these to me, or is there a website or (better yet) a pattern to make a corset like I showed up top? And can I use any type of fabric, or are some better than others?

Casings - See above statement
Interfacing - is a stabilizing fabric that is most time ironed on the back side of the fabric. In corsets is is mainly used around the front closure (busk) and the eyelets in the back to help strengthen the fabric.
Liners - is usually a soft silky fabric that goes against the skin to cover any seams and other things on the back side of the fabric. For corsets I usually use a cotton or a broadcloth in mine, but I know people use silk or satin too. Helps protect the corset and your body from rubbing against the seams. Simplicity and McCalls both carry simple corset patterns or http://www.corsetmaking.com/ has all kinds of patterns and supplies. For fabric you want a fabric that is strong yet still has some give. If you want to have a silky fabric on the outside you will want to have a stronger layer underneath for support. You can use pretty much any fabric you want though as long as you back it correctly so it can take the strain of the closure.
Back to top Go down
leather & lace

leather & lace

PostSubject: Re: Help! Attempting to learn about corsets   Help! Attempting to learn about corsets EmptySun May 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank you both that's all really helpful. I'll be starting on something as soon as i can and I'll make sure to post!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help! Attempting to learn about corsets   Help! Attempting to learn about corsets EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:57 am

I must give a word of caution:

Please please please don't try tight lacing with plastic or bamboo boning!!! I hear so many stories about girls with gapping wounds in their breasts where they've used cheap materials and they've broken through the material.

A 'proper' corset (like the one in the image) will be backed with Coutil. Coutil is really finely woven herringbone and is one of the only fabrics strong and inflexible enough to work properly. Leather is strong but stretches and is only good as a 'fashion-corset' - one that's just for show and doesn't hold you in at all. It certainly won't last over repeated wearings.

Proper boning is made from steel spirals.

Check out this blog for info on different kinds of corsets:
http://bridgesonthebody.blogspot.com/

Fashion corsets can be made from anything really and are just for show - they aren;t strong enough to hold you in at all.
Back to top Go down
peglegparadiddle

peglegparadiddle

PostSubject: Re: Help! Attempting to learn about corsets   Help! Attempting to learn about corsets EmptyMon May 16, 2011 2:16 am

To answer your questions....
http://www.lafnmoon.com/corset_faq.html

The lady who makes this pattern is based in my home town, I took a class from her and her patterns are very simple and easy to follow. You can order everything you need from her site! I used THIS pattern (I made each one, the Silverado is a little sexier and provides more coverage, the dore is easier and very very basic) and I couldnt be happier with it. It's not as intimidating as it may seem, you just have to take your time and make sure to double and triple check your measurements so you have a proper fit.

burdastyle has a F-R-E-E one printable pattern, but it is not an overbust pattern. It would be perfect for you to practice on before you commit to a pattern!

If you use boning PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont skimp. its a very bad idea. plastic boning is cheap and sold by the yard in the casing at places like Hancock and Joann's. It's even cheaper if you use one of their coupons. If you just want the "corset look" you can even sew in a casing and just stick cording or bias tape in there to get that ridged look.

good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Attempting to learn about corsets   Help! Attempting to learn about corsets Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! Attempting to learn about corsets
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CRAFTOVISION :: Projects and Tutorials :: Your Projects and Tutorials :: Tops-
Jump to: