CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bike Helmet!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Concupiscence

Concupiscence

Bike Helmet! Empty
PostSubject: Bike Helmet!   Bike Helmet! EmptySun May 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Okay so, I'm a bad bad naughty girl and I don't wear a helmet when I ride my bike. Yes I know. I am evil and asking for a head injury. So tell me. Got any ideas on how to make, where to find, or most likely, how to modify a helmet that will be of adequate protection for a girl who likes it retro? Or a spooky June Cleaver. I'll even go steampunk-ish. Safety first, but dammit, fashion second at least! It's almost a tie. I ride my bike in fluffy skirts and heels. I really want a helmet to match! Thank you in advance to anyone with suggestions!

Here is a blurry pictorial example of my average bike outfit for inspiration, lol.

Bike Helmet! Bike_r10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reeonzoid

Reeonzoid

Bike Helmet! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike Helmet!   Bike Helmet! EmptyMon May 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Don't worry! I live in the Netherlands, and I think, on average every Dutch person owns like 1,5 bike. (Don't quote me on that though)
And I know zero people who wear helmets. Razz Just sporters. So don't feel bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Concupiscence

Concupiscence

Bike Helmet! Empty
PostSubject: :)   Bike Helmet! EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the reassurance! Mostly, I'm with you on this, but on certain occasions, like down a very steep hill(!) I kinda regret not having a "safety net" in the form of Helmet-ness.

........ And Hello from California! My mom is a Dutch citizen, born in Amsterdam! I am unfortunately very limited in my knowledge of her birth country, as my grandparents left when she was less than a year old. Mostly I know food, and I'm not even sure what is Dutch, and what is Indo. Except for Deruijter. I KNOW that is Dutch! Mmmmm..... yummy.(Lekker?!) lol! Pretty sure everything else is Indonesian, as that is my grandparents home country.

anyway! Thanks for your input, and I hope you have a wonderful and craft filled day!

(oh I also know Apples in Dutch-though not how to spell it- as my Opa would say it when he burped. He was a strange funny man!)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reeonzoid

Reeonzoid

Bike Helmet! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike Helmet!   Bike Helmet! EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 pm

How funny! I'm an Indo too. Most Dutch dishes have potatoes in them, and green veggies...
And it's "Appel"
Very Happy

(And as to why we don't ever wear bike helmets, the Netherlands is a flat, flat country)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bike Helmet! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike Helmet!   Bike Helmet! EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 am

g

Last edited by PinUpRetro on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Concupiscence

Concupiscence

Bike Helmet! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike Helmet!   Bike Helmet! EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 3:23 pm

It's not so much "other peeps aren't doing it, why should I" as it is that I simply don't have one right now, and If I'm going to pay a bunch of $$ to get one, I want one I like that sorta, you know, fits the whole picture so to speak. I don't "dumb down" my attire to ride, I wear MY clothes not that dumb lycra squad uniform those jerks wear (in my town they are total jerks)

I mean, I picture hitting a rock or pebble *just* the wrong way when going down this gnarly hill I sometimes take, and yeah, I don't really wanna feel ANY of the possible resultant pain... and it's sort of rural so possibly no one would even see me for hours is I were K.O.'D...

I have read conflicting info about whether ANY kind of paint or just certain kinds of paint would destroy the protectiveness of the helmet....

Are they really so fragile that one drop would mess it up? Because... really, I can see myself dropping that bad boy every time i go to put it on, I can be that clumsy (at least when PMS is in town...)

but I'm guessing putting a custom fitted cloth cover shouldn't hurt it any, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Bike Helmet! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike Helmet!   Bike Helmet! Empty

Back to top Go down

Bike Helmet!
Page 1 of 1