CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gwenyver-Costumes

Gwenyver-Costumes

DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives Empty
PostSubject: DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives   DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 11:54 am

Christmas/Yule is coming soon and I'm looking for ideas of gifts I could make for my family members. They are 55 to 60 years old and are not into the "hand made" look or vintage (I'm the weirdo artsy one in the family), and they will let you know if they don't like your gift, mocking it shamelessly, which I want to avoid. Knowing who and how they are, I am trying to find ideas they will like.

I have looked at the Threadbanger playlist and other than the cosmetics / soap, I don't know what else could do. Can anyone suggest other types of projects? I've been raking my brains and can't find anything.

What do you give your difficult aunt or uncle (times Cool when you want to uphold the hand made holiday challenge?

P.S. They are all diabetic, so sweets are out of the question. Cuz that would make it too easy! Razz

santa
Back to top Go down
http://costumeholic.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives   DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:39 am

Gardening stuff - one of those gardening organiser things

DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives 75B8BBE4

Lap tray

DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives 42382_1?$800$

What do they like doing? Do they have any hobbies - like knitting?

Knitting roll:
DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives Knitterstoolbox

Smelly things for drawers (old people in the UK like these)
DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives 230987258?$fash_product$

Can you tell us any more about them?
Back to top Go down
lost_soul_in_a_fish_bowl

lost_soul_in_a_fish_bowl

PostSubject: Re: DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives   DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 11:42 am

The garden organiser is a good idea (they all are, mind!) I made one for my dad a few years back, with separate pockets for each season's seeds/jobs to do.

Also, how about seasonal decorations? The simpler ones tend to look less 'handmade', such as sewn fabric streamers (heart shapes, circles?) on a ribbon. Or bauble type things made out of dough, using biscuit cutters and baked - even put cinnamon in them to smell nice. Slap a load of gold enamel paint on em, look as good as bought ones. (of course we all know hand made is better!)

I'm uber poor this year so even though I usually make gifts anyway (which I'm sure you all know often costs just as much as buying), this year it's a necessity to make things out of whatever I already have, so I think I'm gonna make decorations, and who knows - maybe they'll even be used next year... Smile

Seasons greetings everybody!!!
Back to top Go down
Gwenyver-Costumes

Gwenyver-Costumes

PostSubject: Re: DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives   DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Sorry I took so long to reply. The garden organizer does sound like a good idea, thank you for suggesting it.

I did end up making my list of presents for everyone. Here they are:

1- Quilt table runner - made from scraps of fabrics (I'm a costumer, I have bins full of those). I will also trim it with a tablet woven band I am working on.

2- A book purse - my mom recently got rid of many Reader's Digest hard covered books, but she is getting one back under the tree, in a new life as a purse.

3- Cross stitch QR Code - using a QR code generator and Excel, I made a cross stitch pattern with a QR code that scans "Joyeux Noël" (Merry Christmas). I have also added a trim with reindeers and fir trees to my pattern. The idea came from here: http://www.epbot.com/2011/10/quick-craft-geek-stitch.html

4- Paper bead jewellery - for my most original relative, I will make some paper beads earnings and a necklace. I found some ideas on Etsy.

5 - Tin Can tea light holder - Probably the coolest idea. Found here: http://www.whatimade.com/index.php/an-elegant-tin-can-tea-light-holder/

I'll let you know how it comes along.
Back to top Go down
http://costumeholic.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives   DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Christmas gifts for difficult relatives
Page 1 of 1