CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Repurposed jacket

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gwenyver-Costumes

Gwenyver-Costumes

Repurposed jacket Empty
PostSubject: Repurposed jacket   Repurposed jacket EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Hiya!

I work in the fashion business and I see an incredible amount of samples being thrown out because they were taken apart to check their construction, punched for the fabric,s weight or just plain mutilated (a small cut a the back) to save on shipping. I don't like seeing so much waste, so generally, I try to save these samples from the garbage bin, I fix them up and give them to charity. It works well with pants anyways.

But I have a bunch of women's business jackets with either lining missing, hole punched through the back and/or sleeves taken apart, nd I am looking for ideas on what to do with them. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!
Back to top Go down
http://costumeholic.blogspot.com/

Repurposed jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repurposed jacket   Repurposed jacket EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:41 am

Jackets ay...

-Waistcoats for those with no arms
-those without lining - add lining or give to charity without. You can buy plenty of jackets in high street shops that have no lining
-Give to a textiles class at a local college?

Out of interest - what do you mean they put holes in the back? why?
Back to top Go down
Gwenyver-Costumes

Gwenyver-Costumes

Repurposed jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repurposed jacket   Repurposed jacket EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:25 pm

PinUpRetro wrote:
Out of interest - what do you mean they put holes in the back? why?

I mean 1 of 2 things. First, to check that the bulk fabric is at the agreed weight, we sometimes have to punch a 3" circle into one garment. We do it in the back of the sample so it still looks ok from the front for details if we need to present it to a potential customer.

To send a sample over the boarder or overseas to be, well, copied, or even just as a reference for the production, it costs quite a pretty penny. But if you make as little as a 1" cut somewhere on the garment and you identify it with a sticker that says "Mutilated", then there are a bunch of taxes you save on. So many samples are cut up this way just to save on shipping. Wrong, I know, and it breaks my heart everytime someone asks me to do it. Usually, the cut is done somewhere in the back, again so samples can still be modeled from the front.

When I have to mutilate a sample, I try to find a spot which could still keep the garment usable. If you do it near the hem of a pair of pants, someone could still snatch them from the garbage and make them into capri pants. At least that is how I think. I love working in fashion, but a lot of the reality of the mass retail world is making my conscience do overtime. Embarassed That's why I try to at least salvage as many of those garments as possible.

But jackets are a bit trickier. (Note to self: bolero maybe?) I'm looking to do something spiffy with them so they look way more cool that before.
Back to top Go down

Repurposed jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repurposed jacket   Repurposed jacket EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 am

Ah okay -wow learn something new everyday.

Are you able to cut into the seams? So they can be restitched? Or does it have to0 be in the material?
Back to top Go down
Gwenyver-Costumes

Gwenyver-Costumes

Repurposed jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repurposed jacket   Repurposed jacket EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 6:03 am

PinUpRetro wrote:
Ah okay -wow learn something new everyday.

Are you able to cut into the seams? So they can be restitched? Or does it have to0 be in the material?

Believe me, I tried that, but no, you have to cut through the material. pale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Repurposed jacket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repurposed jacket   Repurposed jacket Empty

Back to top Go down

Repurposed jacket
Page 1 of 1