CRAFTOVISION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CRAFTOVISION

A show dedicated to DIY culture featuring tutorials, cool places and cool people.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Painting denim?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
leather & lace

leather & lace

Painting denim? Empty
PostSubject: Painting denim?   Painting denim? EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 5:53 pm

A friend of mine wants me to paint a horse on a jean vest of hers. I already have plenty of acrylic paint, would that work? or do Ineed to buy fabric paint? keep in mind that it will actually be worn around horses so at some point it will need to be washed. thanks!
Back to top Go down
Pinkweeds

Pinkweeds

Painting denim? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting denim?   Painting denim? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 am

acrylic paint won't last and it will not look very nicely. Use fabric paint. You can get larger containers of fabric paint at art stores like Dick Blicks.
Back to top Go down
http://la-bouilloire-noire.blogspot.com/
RockqueducT

RockqueducT

Painting denim? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting denim?   Painting denim? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes, use fabric paint. I recently used fabric paint on jeans (and bleach) and they turned out awesome. If you are in fact using the paint on denim as opposed to a cotton or such, it will seep in more (think canvas without gesso) so you'll want to take your time, have enough on hand, and make sure you put a garbage bag or board between any layers to prevent unwanted colour from staining another area of the garment.
Craft stores should have an array of fabric paint for you to choose from.
Good luck.

***side note, I used the same paint Corrine did in her mad hatter TB episode. It dries fast enough, but you can't wash them for 72 hours. and when you do ,inside out. Mine turned out great.
Back to top Go down
Flutterbysea

Flutterbysea

Painting denim? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting denim?   Painting denim? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Decoart and Delta Ceramcoat both make a textile or fabric painting medium that converts acrylics to fabric paints. I use the Deco art one and it works great you just mix 2 parts paint to 1 part medium, you should be able to find in the paint section of your local craft store.

some of the stuff I've done with it to give you an idea of how it works:)

Painting denim? 010Painting denim? 043375x500Painting denim? Pantedjeans005400x300Painting denim? 033600x450Painting denim? 046300x400Painting denim? 047400x300

also it cheap if that's a concern, I recently got a BIG bottle of the Delta Ceramcoat one on sale for $1.97 but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how it works, but a normal acrylic sized bottle of the Decoart one shouldn't be over $4.00 and it lasts a really long time
I hope this was helpful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
leather & lace

leather & lace

Painting denim? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting denim?   Painting denim? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks guys, thats all really helpful. I'll be sure to check out that medium, 'specially since I already have all the acrylics I need. Smile
Back to top Go down
megneedles

Painting denim? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting denim?   Painting denim? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 11:36 am

I agree with flutterbysea- I've painted many pairs of jeans and I use acrylic with the fabric medium in it. Actually, that is what I use for all my tee shirt/jeans paintings. There is a little fading depending but I've never minded that, it looks vintage to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Painting denim? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting denim?   Painting denim? Empty

Back to top Go down

Painting denim?
Page 1 of 1